Saturday, September 10, 2011

Quick & Simple Dinner

Sorry, no pictures tonight. It's been months since I've posted a new blog entry, so I figured I'd post my "What's for dinner" (well, what was for dinner) for the night because it was pretty tasty. But it's an afterthought, and I didn't take pictures. And now it's all gone.

We basically had steak, quinoa, and green beans for dinner. The boys are gone for the weekend, so this is a meal for 2.5 people (me, the husband, and the toddler).

I started with the quinoa, and my handy dandy rice cooker. I placed the following ingredients in the rice cooker:

3/4 c. quinoa
8 baby carrots, thinly sliced into rounds
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp chopped fresh oregano
A shake of dried cilantro
2 tbsp salsa (from a jar; check ingredients as, surprisingly, not all salsa is gluten or dairy free)
1 1/2 c. water

In hindsight I should have added salt and pepper, too. For some reason I tend to forget that. Salt can be added later, to taste, but I hate uncooked pepper so I did without.

I then put my steamer basket on top of the rice cooker and filled it with frozen green beans. I have found that Costco carries a giant bag of frozen green beans that are actually just about as good as fresh green beans. It's been an amazing discovery. No one in my family ever liked frozen green beans before, and now we eat them for several meals per week. But I digress. I put the quinoa and other ingredients in the bottom part of the rice cooker, and the beans in the steamer, set the cooker to the regular "white rice" setting, and let it go.

My husband simply grilled a pair of sirloin steaks on the gas bbq outside.

And there you have it: Dinner. Super simple. I took a slice of steak and ran it through the food processor for the toddler, who doesn't have any molars yet, but she ate the green beans and quinoa as they were.

No comments:

Post a Comment